The King of Stansillia

He was a good king but he felt alienated from his subjects. He told himself that the only way to really get to know them was to walk among them as one of them.

So early one morning, while it was still dark, he left the castle. He wore the clothes of a peasant and he looked the part. The royal guard did not accompany him. He was subject to the vicissitudes of everyday life. Just like every commoner in the Kingdom of Stansillia.

But even though he looked the part of a commoner, there was something undefinable about him. He seemed to be more than what he appeared and when he spoke, the people listened.

When asked who he was he replied: “I am the king of Stansillia. Stansillia and I are one. Stansillia is greater than me.”

When asked to explain these claims, he replied. “As an individual I am king, but as king I represent the entire kingdom and so therefore the kingship cannot be separated from the kingdom.”

“But then how can the kingdom also be greater than you?”

“In moments like this, when I am not on the throne, the workings and government of the kingdom remain. In that sense it is greater than me because it continues even when I’m away.”

The king had the enjoyed the fellowship, and as he went back to the castle to resume his duties, he knew that he would return someday.

Blog Archive

Copyright


The Differentiator Revisited 2009